The second-born’s surgery was Friday, along with numerous doctors appt’s before hand, for his broken wrist. Surgery went well, he now looks like he lost a war with a nail gun however.
I’m taking a little time between pain killer dosages, escorted bathroom trips and ice pack delivery to show my latest completed project. I’m very excited over this one too!
This is just about what we started with, minus a few opaque panels that we may, or may not have accidentally broken in various ways.
Only one light worked consistently, one on occasion, and one never worked. And yes, we tried changing out the bulbs. And the final nail in the coffin for these lighting fixtures – they started humming. Very, very loudly. If they’re going to make that much noise, they had better at least work!
We took down the lovely trim, and the lights, and I nearly lost a finger on that last one to the right. They were all connected to the same wire, so the wiring was pretty easy.
We were still left with a giant 80’s hole in our ceiling, so we took several months
to save up for to figure out what we wanted to do with it.
We finally decided to go with just one light down the middle, that will eventually hang over a very small island. It’s on an adjustable light switch and is extremely bright, so no other light is really necessary – save the lights we’ll be putting in over the stove where we cast a shadow from this one. And a faux copper tile, that will also eventually match the sink. If we were going to be stuck with this space, we thought we’d at least make it look like it was there on purpose!
These tiles are super easy to put up, and they come in a ton of colors and styles. We actually took a few months to pick out the exact color/design combo we wanted. They also carry the real stuff too if you’re feeling rich.
During measuring, we discovered that one side of the inset was about 2″ wider, than the bottom. This is how we solved the issue. I doubt it’s what a builder would do, but since it’s going behind very light panels, and then being nailed from the trim, I’m thinking it’ll be perfect for the next 30 years or so when someone updates again.
(Quite looking in my cabinets!)
This project has definitely taken me the longest. I was scared silly thinking about cutting the trim. I had to learn to do something called “coping“, where you cut the backside of the trim so that it matches perfectly when it butts up against the other trim.
I finally worked up the nerve to cut it and…. there were a few mistakes, but you really have to work to see them.
I have to say, I’m uber proud of how this turned out. I love the way it looks and am very thankful it’s over with. You may not personally like the color or style, but it may just give you an idea what you could do with an eyesore of a ceiling in that one room you’ve been avoiding.
I have been working on the cabinets also (hence, no doors in the picture), which feels like it’s taking forever also with all the other stuff going on right now. But if I take it as slowly as this, they should look fantastic too!
I’m off to strip (cabinets), medicate (broken children), and have a drink or two (of something in the hot chocolate range).