Ok, that was a corny title. Work with me here.
It’s beautiful out my way… well, today is raining and cold, but we could use it. The last few weeks have been unseasonably warm though, and I don’t mind one bit! And while we’re on a pretty tight budget, we still
needed could use a garden. Last years use of bags, while effective, not only took down a fence, but we were only able to do tomatoes that way. So this year, I searched all the different pins and sites to find inexpensive ways to make raised garden beds. If we’re planning on moving, I’m not going to spend a small fortune on amending soil for a garden, and because we live in the high dessert/plains/valley (yes, it counts as all three), our soil, neigh, sand… sucks. We literally found cactus in the field behind us (which is now growing nicely in a pot on our porch).
I decided to go with just three this year. I could have fit more, but that was in my budget and I’m working on my little bit of “OCD” and picked an odd number to help me move on. Besides, when you plant in your garden, you’re supposed to use an odd number right?
Each raised bed cost me approx. $20. $16 if you don’t count the 2×4’s we already had from another project. I won’t bore you with the building part because there are probably 100’s of sites out there with tutorials on that part, so I’ll send you there. I will say that I bought 8 3 x 5 cedar fence planks for just under $2 each.
Now here’s the part I was really excited about –
We have really amazing neighbors. We live in a rural “neighborhood” of 2 1/2 acre plots. All the other neighbors are original to when the development was put in. So they’ve been here since 1975 – 1980 depending on the house. The house we own, was actually built by one of the neighbors parents… ironically former dentists. The “kids”, who have been here since 1975 I believe, have a massive grass pile near a corner of our property that they’ve been dumping in since they had grass. I called and asked if I could use it to amend what little soil I had left over from last years tomatoes and they said “Yes, of course!”. As we… ok, the boys, were piling the grass into the back of the truck, we realized that majority of the grass was really, really excellent dirt. We hit the dirt jackpot! We have free access to free, fabulous dirt!
After getting all the dirt/grass out of the back of the truck I installed the new mini sprinklers. I have to say though that I’m not thrilled with them and will be changing them out. The don’t spray the “5 ft” it said and the third one won’t even spray at all. Not a lot of water pressure up here on the hill. So I’ll be changing back to the drip hoses once I find the right connections.
In the mean time, my tomatoes and sweet potato starts have been transplanted and we’ll be getting a few other items this weekend.
It was great to get away from staining cabinets for a while. I got to get out and get dirty, on the cheap. What a great start to the summer!